Like Us on Facebook
Frequently asked questions
Silk shirts are perfect for the warmer weather because the material is light and allows air to flow through the shirt keeping you cooler. It also absorbs moisture helping to keep the skin dry in the heat. Even though silk is the most durable of all natural fabrics it is recommended that you dry clean or hand wash your shirts.
- Look at the manufactures label on the shirt to see if it says dry cleaning. If so, you can typically gently hand wash the item. However, if it says dry clean only it may not be safe to hand wash and your best bet is to drop it at the cleaners.
- If you decided to hand wash your shirt you will need to fill a sink or tub with warm water. Next, add soap that has a balanced pH which would be noted on the label.
- Place blouse in the soapy water mixture and allow to soak for approximately 20 minutes. If there are soil stains you might leave it a little longer in the mixture. Rinse the garment with warm water and place flat between 2 towels. Roll and squeeze to remove water. Never wring out fabric as it will cause it to wrinkle. Lay out a towel on a flat surface and place your garment on top to air dry flat. Never throw into the dryer of hang to dry.
- It is best to fold your silk garment instead of hanging it which could cause the shoulders to become misshaped.
Silk shirts are a favorite because of the softness of the material and how it drapes perfectly over your body. Keep it looking good for many years to come by taking care of the fabric. Check for the best looking Hawaiian Aloha shirts @ Shakatime Hawaiian Shirt Company.
How to find the out seam of your pants or shorts?
- Put the pants or shorts that you want to measure on. If you are measuring pants you will need the help of someone else to measure for you.
- Place the tape at the top or waistband and measure down to the end of the leg. The total inches are the length of the short leg from top to bottom.
* If you don't have assistance you can measure the pants alone if you lay it out on a flat surface and follow step 2 above.
How to find the inseam of your pants or shorts?
- Fold you pants/shorts vertically so that only one leg is visible.
- Lay them on a flat surface and smooth out any wrinkles.
- Take a measuring tape and place one end at the crotch of your pants/or shorts. Pull the tape down the leg of the pants until you reach the bottom of the pants or shorts.
- The measurement is your inseam length.
*When measuring shorts you may also take the measurements with the shorts on and by following steps 3 and 4 above.
The Pa’u hula skirt is a classic skirt of the Hawaiian tradition derived from ancient hula style. Pa’u means skirt in the Hawaiian language and hula is a traditional Hawaiian dance; therefore, Pa’u Hula skirt is loosely translated to “dance skirt”. Three or more rows of elastic are used to make the waist which allows for a natural bend while dancing and to make it comfortable for performing. Three to four yards of fabric are used to make the skirt. The skirt can be brightly colored solid fabrics or various printed designs with the average length of about 27 inches long. Hula dancers wear the Pa’u skirt along with exotic necklaces, anklets, bracelets, and headpieces. Aloha, from your friends at SHAKATIME!
Cross the wide end over the narrow, next slip the wide end up between the tie and collar, next drop it back down.
Wrap the wide end behind the narrow end from right to left.
Bring the wide end in front and over the loop between the collar and tie.
Wrap the wide end around the narrow part one more time and slip up through loop again.
Loosely stabilizing the knot, slip the wide end through it. Center dimple and tighten.
Our Hawaiian neckties are designed in unique tropical patterns and combination of beautiful hues. These neckties are truly unique and will accent your style making a great addition to your wardrobe. Perfect for weddings, special events, or any occasion, a Hawaiian necktie is the perfect answer for tropical look. Aloha! SHAKATIME
Hawaii macadamia nut candies are sought after from people all over the world because of its quality and heavenly taste. Hawaii supplies 90% of the world’s population of Macadamia nuts which is then covered in rich milk chocolate or dark chocolate. With every bite you get a mixture of chocolate and delicious macadamia nuts.. Also popular is Macadamia nut cookies and Macadamia nut candies with sprinkled pineapples. In fact, not only are macadamia nuts delicious they are also good for you. The fat in these nuts are mostly unsaturated fat which can reduce cholesterol. Macadamia’s are also good for your skin and hair. So go ahead and enjoy Hawaii’s own Macadamia nut chocolates. Aloha, SHAKATIME
A Kukui Nut comes from Hawaii’s state tree, the Kukui, and it is one of the most common trees you will see in Hawaii’s forests.
- It has many uses such as hair tonic, laxative, shampoo, and moisturizer.
- The kernels were also boiled and used for medicinal purposes such as for headaches and fevers.
- Because the Kukui had so many uses the tree had a spiritual significance. Because of its significance the Kukui nut leis were only worn by royalty in ancient times. They treasured these leis and wore them proudly.
- Today, it has been brought back to popularity and worn by Hollywood celebrities and by people all over the world.
Here are 5 reasons why Kona Coffee is so highly sought after...
- It is the only coffee grown in the United States. You will get the quality of a product made in America and you support local business.
- The rich volcanic soil provides the perfect conditions for growing rich flavored coffee.
- It is said that Mark Twain once said, “Kona coffee has a richer flavor than any other…”
- It is considered one of the top gourmet coffees in the world.
- It only makes up 1% of the world’s total coffee supply which means the demand is high for the limited supply.
Buying Kona coffee online usually results in a savings as opposed to buying it in your local grocery store. Look for packages marked 100% Kona Coffee for the best flavors instead of blends. For excellent prices and 100% Kona coffee check out SHAKATIME selection. Aloha!
Rayon fabric is not as sturdy as cotton and therefore, requires more care. However, the fabric is well worth the extra care and will last a long time with just a few extra minutes of care.
1. Read the label and follow manufactures instructions.
2. Most Rayon shirts require dry cleaning; however, you can hand wash some rayon materials, check on label.
3. If you are washing by hand, use cool water with a little detergent made for hand washing, some people use Woolite. 4. Gently squeeze the fabric but NEVER wring, twist, or bunch up rayon.
5. Gently shake it out and smooth out the wrinkles.
6. Hang to dry on a plastic hanger, never a wire hanger. Hang carefully as rayon is especially delicate when wet.
7. Iron rayon material inside out to keep it from shining. Use low heat and press it while it is slightly damp to ease the wrinkling. If you must touch up the right side of the garment, cover it with a cloth first.
Some people have washed rayon in a delicate bag on gentle cycle in a washing machine. I’d be cautious of doing this but I’ve heard it can be done.
As you see caring for your Rayon clothing does not need to be a chore. With just a little bit of extra care your rayon fabric will last a long time. I hope that you’ve found this information helpful and please share with us your tips. Shaka Time Hawaii have a large selection of tropical Hawaiian Rayon shirts. Aloha!
Yes, there are many different styles of Muumuus. They come in bright tropical colors or more subdued hues and prints. It can be worn to formal events such as weddings or luaus, or more casual activities. They have been worn for generations in Hawaii and has remained a popular choice for women.
• The first type of Muumuu is the A-line style. It flows from the shoulders on down with no waist and the largest measuring at the bottom hem. It’s flattering to all body types especially if you want to hide the extra winter pounds. Many pregnant women chose this style for its comfort.
• Another style is the fitted Muumuu. It’s designed to flatter all body types but instead of loose fitting it gently hugs every inch of your body slightly showing off your silhouette.
• Muumuu’s come in different lengths. You can select a full length, knee length, or a mid- calf dress. For more formal events choose a full length Muumuu and for causal activities stick with knee or calf length.
• A Holoku’u has a hem that is longer in the back than it is in the front, similar to a small train on the back of a dress. This style is formal and can be worn to weddings or as a wedding dress.
• Ruffled neck Muumuus are popular but they also come in a simple V, round, or square neckline.
To see more styles of MuuMuu’s visit Shaka Time. We have a large selection of short Muumuu’s, long muumuu’s, formal and informal Muumuu’s. Whatever style you chose we are sure to have it. Aloha!
I am often asked if there are any rules to wearing a lei? Is there a wrong way or right way? Some people are interested in traditional culture, others don't want to break any cultural rules, and some just don't want to look silly if they wore it wrong. Here are a few simple guidelines for you to follow.
1. There aren’t many rules with wearing a lei however it is very important to accept a lei if it is given to you.
2. When wearing a lei, gently drape it over your shoulders. This allows it to hang a little on the front and back.
3. If a ribbon is tied onto the lei you can wear it off to the right if single and off to the left if taken. You may also choose to wear the ribbon on the back (like a clasp on a necklace).
4. You don’t need a special occasion to wear a lei and it can be worn more than once.
5. Do not wear a lei you intend to give someone else as it is considered bad luck.
We hope this information is helpful when you get a lei or when you are giving a lei to your loved one. For authentic silk flower leis and kukui Nut leis shipped from Hawaii, visit SHAKATIME. Aloha!
The best way to determine your Hawaiian shirt size is to measure a shirt you already own and do the following: 1. Lay out the shirt on a flat surface and measure from the back of the neck to the end of the shirt to determine the length. 2. For the chest, measure from the left inseam of the underarm of the shirt to the right inseam and multiply by two for the circumference measurement. 3. To determine shoulder width, measure from the inseam of the left outer shoulder across to the right shoulder seam. For detailed measuring instructions on our website, go to HOW TO MEASURE under our customer service tab. Follow the instructions on our site then use the measurements from your shirt and compare them to the Hawaiian shirt size chart. The size closest to your measurements should be the one you need.
If you need further assistance with sizing please call us at 808-545-3179. Shaka Time Associates are ready to help Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. (Hawaii Standard Time). Mahalo!
Check out our Cotton Hawaiian shirts styles
Any time of year is a good time to visit Hawaii. The average daytime temperature is 84 to 87 F and nighttime 70 to 72 F. In the summer months daytime temperatures range from 76 to 80 F nighttime 60 to 64 F. The trade winds keep things comfortable year-round. Whale watching season begins in late December and ends in early May. Peak whale watching months are between January and early April.
A. Check the size chart that is available for each product. Click on the section to show you how to measure and compare the sizes. Remember, the measurements are from our clothes and not of the person wearing it. To get you started, click here to see how we measure. We hope this helps and if you still have questions please contact our customer service department at 877-949-5299 and we will be glad to provide you with further assistance. Aloha!
How to wear? If you are married, take it or not available you wear your flower on the left side. If you are available and looking, you wear the flower on the right side. Many Hawaiian Girl's they wear the flower in the left side but when they see a man they are interested in they switch to the right side to let them know they are available.